Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Who should be the better performer? The coach or the athlete?

One day as I was doing a WOD, during one of my 800m runs, I was thinking about my performance and asked myself why I coach? I know this might seem like a odd thing to do in a middle of a WOD, but while running it takes my mind off of the actual WOD and allows me to relax and prepare for the upcoming movements after the run. After asking myself, why do I coach? I thought about my WOD times compared to the athletes that I train. Sometimes my time is better, sometimes there time is better. Should I be upset that my athletes are beating me at certain WODs? HELL NO.

Yes, I think that it is important that I be good at what I do. What I do is not trying to be the best CrossFit athlete in the world; but being the best CrossFit coach and training my athletes to be the best. Yes, I believe it is important that I train hard and I do well. And I do. There are things that I can improve on in my performance, that is life, and I work on my weakness. It is also important that I never stop learning and I do the research to make myself and my athletes better. At the end of the day I am happy with my performance. But it is a great week if I am able to make one of my athletes a better performer. I train because I love to see others improve and succeed in life from something that I have taught them, by being there for them, supporting them during the bad and good days. That is why I coach.

No comments:

Post a Comment